Hey you! Yeah, you.
Wouldn't you feel special if I called you out by name?
Of course you would, which is why today we're talking about the importance of your clients' names.
We talk a lot about client retention, and knowing your clients names all comes down to keeping your clients happy so you can keep your membership thriving.
Why Is It Important?
- It's the beginning of building the "know, like, and trust" factor, which is critical to your success as a small business owner.
- Right now, many people are coming to the gym to improve mental health and be part of a community. Being recognized by name is a huge part of making them happy in YOUR community.
- Clients who are happy tend to stick around, and even refer their friends and family, which helps your business grow.
How to Make It Happen
- Educate your staff. Everyone who sees clients should learn their names. Don't forget desk staff, trainers, closing managers, fitness directors...everyone.
- Say a client's name at least 3 times during a visit. The desk staff greets by name on the way in and the way out, and a trainer can say hi to clients on the floor.
- Work with the 5/10 rule. If you're within 5 feet, greet a client by name. If you're within 10 feet, make eye contact and wave.
- Repeat a client's name the first time you meet. It helps you remember.
- Forgot someone's name? Ask. It's better than awkwardly walking around waiting for the moment you're embarrassed because you forgot.
- When new clients join, call them at least 4 times: when you make the sale, and again at the 30-day, 60-day, and 90-day marks. They'll feel welcomed and you're more likely to remember their names and goals.
Need more help remembering names? Use a technology system to keep up with names, goals, and more. Your clients will be very impressed and it makes client management so much easier!